Monday, December 13, 2004

Trip

I have had a worrying number of accidents in the last 24 hours. Perhaps I am still tired from Saturday, or maybe I'm pre-occupied with things to think about, but I'm not operating at full mental capacity at the moment.

The first one was my own fault. I was trying to put something on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom, so I stood on the chair. I couldn't quite reach so I balanced my foot on the edge of the laundry basket to give me a small boost. It's a reasonably sturdy box structure with a lift up lid that has an inset lattice of thin wooden strips. I thought that I was secure resting my foot on the fairly substantial surround, but I had forgotten that I was wearing socks and the surround was slippy. My foot slipped and cracked through the lattice, and I toppled backwards over the chair twisting my leg in the process as the laundry box fell over on its side.

Resultant injuries : one scraped and bruised shin

The next injury came on my nightly walk in the woods. I was on autopilot with the torch trained on the dog ahead of me on the path. I picked my phone out of my pocket to check my diary for the next day when my foot connected with a large tree branch halfway across the path and I was left flailing to stay upright.

Resultant injuries : one stubbed toe and a jarred ankle

The final incident occurred when I was scurrying upstairs to the shower, wearing just a towel around my waist. Near the top of the stairs the towel came loose and tangled round my foot, tripping me up so that I landed heavily on the top step.

Resultant injuries : one bruised forearm

All in all, I think I am fairly lucky to have escaped more serious injuries from any of those accidents.

No comments: