Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Walking After Midnight

At least today was dry and a bit brighter, after the miserable rainy gloom of yesterday. The traffic was a pain, and I think I'm going to have to start leaving the house a bit earlier in the mornings. I've only just managed to nab the last space in the car park for the last three days, which is irritating.

I was thinking more about why 'One Day' by David Nichols affected me so much. It's been a long time since a book damn near made me cry, but I think in this case it was the combination of the way the characters were written - not necessarily likeable at all times in their lives, but believable, and the evocative reading of the audiobook by Anna Bentink. Another factor was that I am the same age, more or less, as the protagonists and their experience of living in Britain over the last twenty years parallels my own. Well worth the read, I would say.

Last night's telly was the first episode of 'The Walking Dead' - a zombie apocalypse drama directed by Frank Darabont and notable for being played absolutely dead (ho, ho) straight, without any trace of post modern irony or sly humour anywhere to be seen. It's grim stuff, with lots of exploding heads and viscera all over the place. There are some very impressive scenes of devastation and chaos, and some fantastic aerial shots of large crowds of zombies (or 'walkers' as they are called in this show - presumably we are not using the Z word) swarming through city streets. Apparently the zombie genre is now a metaphor for feelings of individual powerlessness, being a wish fulfilment fantasy where all problems can be solved with a bit of survivalist grit, a ready supply of canned goods and sufficient firepower to take pot-shots at the shambling hordes outside. Bet this will go down well with Tea Party America.

In games news, I had to play a game of Progress Bar Champion on the xbox last night before it would let me in to play a brief set of Doors classics on the keyboard. I have also now customised my avatar with a rather natty combo of a 'Doctor What' long coat and scarf, pinstripe trousers, futuristic trainers and orange steampunk goggles. Groovy.

No comments: