Friday, December 16, 2005

Herring flavoured yogurt

I haven't just been playing Animal Crossing this week and anyone who says I have is lying. Oh no.

Last night we went out to the Spotlight comedy club at the Chesterfield College arts centre for an evening of fun and frolics. The club was host by Anthony J Brown, who also runs the Caper Club night in Sheffield. I am starting to warm to his style, despite him reminding me of a cross between Jeff Green and Jarvis Cocker. I think he struggled a bit with an initially spread out and slightly subdued crowd - a complete contrast the rowdy mob at the Takapuna - but things warmed up soon enough. The first half saw two so-so standups - John Cooper and Sam Avery - who had one or two good gags and nice ideas between them, but neither of them really had the skill to banter effectively. John Cooper talked to me about my job for a while, which is, to be brutally honest, hardly comedy goldmine material.

A short break for fizzy, overpriced beer and a caption competition and the second half kicked off with a dire standup whose name I have thankfully forgotten. He didn't struggle for too long, and then the headlining Richard Herring took the stage. He really is in a league of his own, as far as standup goes. Even the material I had heard before had me laughing as he improvised new twists to it. The highlight of the show was the yoghurt rant, where he starts with a chance remark from a checkout girl in his local branch of Sainsbury about the number of yogurt's in his basket and spins into a baroque, paranoid, aspergers syndrome fantasy. Oh, and he also did some cock jokes ...

Surreal, but not as weird as the drive by potatoing when we were getting into our car.

No comments: