Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The day today

After dropping Alicia off at school, I usually have half an hour or so to do a bit of housework before starting work, so this morning I got stuck into cleaning out the fridge. I have been meaning to do this for ages but I have been lacking the necessary circular tuit. I through out all of the half empty jars that we were supposed to eat within four weeks and some of the mankier contents of the veg drawer, and then gave the interior a good clean in readiness for stocking up for yule.

Work today was mostly taken up with getting to grips with the totally counter intuitive report writer that comes with our purchase ordering system. My pointy haired boss wanted a report of the the authoriztion matrix so she could check everything that had been set up. The sql code for the query was tricky enough – a three way outer join to link the main table to the approver names table for each of the authorization levels – but then the challenge was to find out how to insert the new columns into the existing report layout. Cut and paste an existing field and change the properties? No. Clicking (both right and left) and looking for some sort of insert field option? No way, jose. File, Insert? Naah! The fields were actually hidden in an unlabelled drop down box in the status bar. Say what?

It was then time to pick Jamie up from school, and I kicked my heels for ten minutes before going to find him. He eventually sauntered out of the gates, covered from head to toe with mud and looking like a refugee from the Somme. I sent him back in to wash his hands, and then when we got home we went in the back door so I could get his clothes straight into the wash.

A bit more work, a walk with the dog, and then fish and chips for tea – yaybo! I finished off Call of Cthulhu at last, so I can play Animal Crossing next week with a clear conscience. I had thought about buying xbox360, and in fact put in a pre-order back in the summer, but I ended up cancelling it. I think I’m going to wait and see what the Nintendo Revolution is like. If the DS is anything to go by, then there is a good chance that we will see the most interesting games in that format, rather than just endless driving, shooting and sports games which is all there seems to be on the 360 at the moment. The next Zelda game is supposedly still due on Gamecube, although it would seem to make more commercial sense to make it a Revolution launch title.

No comments: