Sunday, August 21, 2005

Holiday Day 1

We had the usual routine of wandering around the house, trying to think of anything that we might possibly need. I put the passports and booking details in my bum bag and then got them out again to check them, just in case they had mysteriously vanished for some strange reason. Jan dropped Barney the dog off at her mum's house and we finally set off at 1 o'clock precisely.

The drive down to my mum's house in Harpenden was fast and cool - 140 miles in two hours, listening to K-Rose and Master Sounds for the full San Andreas driving experience (but with less of the car jacking and extreme gang violence). We sat out in the garden for Sunday lunch enjoying the sunshine and a glass or two of beer. I was just dozing off on the settee when I heard Alicia scream and Jan say something like "Oh my god - what's that?"

'That' turned out to be the biggest dragonfly I have ever seen, battering its head against the skylight trying to escape. Its body was 5 centimeters long, with an even greater wingspan. Simply magnificent, and I managed to take a picture before letting it out to fly off into the gathering dusk.

No comments: