Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Contrasts

The first day back after the holidays is always a tricky one. I had been forewarned of problems with the domain transfer by my boss, so I set off at half past seven and got to Birmingham at a quarter past nine - my best journey by a long margin, I reckon.

The problems were all to do with permissions on directory structures inherited from the old, shall we say 'ad hoc', system of granting permissions to individual users rather than groups. I didn't get permissions to change anything under my own user id until after eleven o'clock whilst my boss was getting steadily more frantic as her staff couldn't get to the files that they needed. I had a conversation with the IT manager in Leeds whilst he was trying to sort things out that mostly consisted of him saying confidence inspiring things such as 'That's odd', 'Shouldn't be doing that', 'Never seen that error before' and finally 'Oh bugger - I'll call you back'.

It did get sorted eventually, although I've got to go down tomorrow for a bit more hand holding whilst they run their first set of invoices for 2005. Oh happy happy, joy joy ...

No comments: