Friday, August 27, 2010

Thirty Days of Music, Day 7

Day 7: One band/singer you're ashamed to admit you like.

Hmmm, this does not really compute. I have a rather diverse taste in music, covering just about every genre up to and including ambient Eskimo soundscapes, and I'm not ashamed about any of it. I will happily argue the toss about the musical merits of anything I enjoy until the cows come home.

I suppose the most desperately unhip genre that I enjoy is prog rock, with Genesis being the prime example. I fully see the need that there was for the year zero of punk back in the mid 70s, but prog at its best (and worst) exhibited some superb musicianship and soaring flights of imagination and whimsy. Here's a sample:

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

I feel the same. I like all kinds of things, and now that I'm not in high school anymore, I don't have any reason to be ashamed of my tastes.

Maybe tomorrow I'll start this music meme. I've enjoyed your entries so far.

Rachel Green said...

I still have most of my Genesis albums, and King Crimson too.