Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ant Music

Hot and muggy last night, with very disturbed sleep not helped by an extremely low flying aircraft of some sort in the wee small hours that sounded as if it was about to crash.

My mood wasn't improved when I came downstairs this morning to see a trail of ants leading from the garage door, along the hallway, into the kitchen and ending up somewhere in the vicinity of the dishwasher. Yuck. I reached for the insecticide and re-enacted my own version of Antpocalypse Now before brushing the pesky little buggers up into the dustpan. Unlike Colonel Kilgore, I do not love the smell of bug spray in the morning, and neither do the cats who were not impressed.

I had a minor panic-ette at work this morning when it looked like some parts of the tax calculation in our payrun process weren't working properly. The error was only showing up in SQL-server so I spent most of the morning comparing SQL specific code against the Oracle classes to see if I could spot what had changed. Nothing jumped out, but I eventually twigged that the problem was actually in the database I was using with the tax band table being set up incorrectly. Doh.

Last night saw me reaching the end of the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone else, but I found the final section to be brilliant, audacious, unexpected (and yet not so for anyone with a grounding in classic Westerns), and rather moving. It is an ending unlike any of the other games in the GTA series, being both a satisfactory conclusion as well as leaving the world open for further sandbox play. Red Dead Redemption now stands quite easily as mah favourite game of all time. If you haven't played it, then you really should.

No comments: