Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Quarryhouse Project

Hidden away in a forgotten corner Beeley Wood, near an old quarry, lies an old, derelict building.

From Quarry House


In a fascinating exercise in modern industrial archaeology, Emma Harnett and Christopher Johns have reclaimed the space as an art project. Through a variety of artistic media including models, poetry, found objects and a series of paintings in various scales up to life size they look at the history of the building and the uses to which it has been put.

From Quarry House


It seems that the building was originally a garage connected to the quarry, and then later perhaps a private business for servicing cars. Fascinating remnants are left including rusted signs and cryptic notes chalked on the wall. The place was abandoned at some point in the late 70s or early 80s, and became a haunt of local youth who no doubt drank cider and smoked the odd illicit fag or two, adding layers of graffiti to the walls from the poignant 'Angela' to the very height of punk aesthetic with the single word 'BOLLOCKS' scrawled outside.

From Quarry House


In clearing the site, the artists found various objects which they have displayed to try to tell the story of the place. A fragment of an old cassette recorder, a rusted spare tyre from a long abandoned car and a milk bottle overgrown with moss forming an impromptu vivarium.

From Quarry House


I hadn't been entirely sure what to expect as I hiked up through the woods on a sunny spring day, but I have to say that I was impressed, intrigued by the history and strangely moved by the sense of times past.

From Quarry House

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh wow.....I wish I had been able to go! And if you wrote a novel Neil, I would definitely read it. You captured me and I want to read more!

thermalsatsuma said...

It was an inspiring bit of art - I was really pleased to have the chance to see it.

If you are interested, I did write a novel two years ago - it starts here if you are interested. Let me know what you think!