Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Emerald Lies

A bit gray and miserable this morning, but at least the roads were clear and I was at my desk for twenty past eight. Not bad going, I reckon.

After my rather depressed rant-ette about politics yesterday, I dug up a site called Electoral Calculus that I've had in my bookmarks folder since 2005. After a bit of digging, I found that our constituency is a new one, cobbled together out of bits of Barnsley, Hillsborough and Brightside seemingly to share out the Labour voters and keep Sheffield red. The notional voting figures look to give Labour a safe seat with the Lib Dems and Tories splitting the anti-Labour vote pretty much down the middle. However, there is an outside chance that sufficient people might turn out for the Lib Dems and some of the Tory vote might be siphoned off by an English Democrat to make it an interesting race.

In an addendum to the digital economy bill debate, I emailed our MP to outline the problems with the bill as proposed and got back a rather condescending email where she ignored the points that I made and said that she was in favour of it passing, with some waffle about Channel 4 getting more money to invest in film. I think that this is an important issue to buttonhole any canvasser that comes to the door about, and you can start by pointing out that the Labour party should have its internet cut off for using a copyright protected image in their 'Ashes to Ashes' poster.

More evidence that Christians are mean spirited, cruel and spiteful comes in this story where rather than let a teenager bring her girlfriend to the school prom the parents in collusion with the school organised a secret prom to which the girl and a handful of other 'undesirables' were not invited. Hey - it's what Jesus would have done, right?

No comments: