Friday, March 26, 2010

World in Motion

As is usual, I was very grateful of the opportunity to snooze until seven o'clock this morning, and I certainly needed it. It was very pleasant to open the curtains to a bright and breezy day too. Lovely.

I've managed to avoid having my work laptop anti-virus 'upgraded' to run Sophos anti-virus, and a good job too. It sounds like it's causing all sorts of problems for various people with reports of the scanning process taking up 98% of cpu time for no readily apparent reason. The technical support people rolled it out after testing it on four of their machines, but they don't run Subversion code control like we do - my suspicion is that switching code branches causes the virus scanner to go ballistic and aggressively scan the whole hard drive. Isn't windows marvellous?

In complete contrast, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04 today and was suitably impressed. The new interface is very slick and the whole system feels very snappy, even on my aging desktop machine. I really can't think of any reason not to use this in preference to windows if you have a choice in the matter. I've got it set up as a dual boot system and the difference in how much windows thrashes the disk as it struggles into life is startling.

No comments: