Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hot Metal

It is a measure of just how much I enjoy fencing that I dragged myself out of the house on one of the hottest days of the year to go to a church hall that was even hotter just so I could hit people with sharp pointy things. We picked up rapiers for the first time in ages with some back to basics footwork, revisiting the cuts and disengages from the parry sequence followed by a game of rapier tag with a penalty for getting tagged of running round the room hitting six different chairs with a precise lunge that went through the hole in the back of the chair.

After a much needed break, more cavationes and counter cavationes and before long I had sweat pouring down my face. I was just about to give up and sit down, when Rick suggested twenty minutes of sabre to finish with. Hoo-rah!

I was well and truly jiggered, but it’s nothing that a blast of air-con in the car, followed by a shower turned down to 2 and a can of guinness chilled to somewhere around freezing couldn’t cure. Good stuff.

No comments: