Sunday, May 21, 2006

Home again, home again, jiggity jig ...

One hundred and forty three miles, door to door though some heavy showers in just over two hours - not bad going, I reckon, even if I did want to crawl into bed straight after. At least it was a better journey than the outward bound leg on Friday evening when were stuck crawling along in heavy traffic for nearly an hour before we had even travelled five miles from our house.

We've been down south for the ninth annual umra (uk.media.radio.archers) barbecue. It was a little more subdued than normal with a lot of absent faces due to one thing and another, and the inclement weather kept us indoors for most of the afternoon, but it was an enjoyable afternoon nonetheless. Good food (especially the chocolate plums) and good company (~waves~ at Rosie and Fenny) made me very glad we'd made the effort.

Another reason that I was glad that we'd gone was a chance to spend some time with my mum and dad. We don't see them that often, given the distance that we live from them, and it is all too easy to let the weeks and months slide by. I heard a bit of upsetting news about my Dad's health, but he seems to be taking it with a brave face even though he has a potentially nasty operation sometime in the summer.

Still, we now have some sunshine after the rain, and the garden is looking particularly lush and green, and I can see Frank the cat stalking something in the flower bed, so perhaps it is time for a beer …

No comments: