Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hump day

The bank holiday, brief as it was, seemed a long way off at six o’clock this morning. I struggled out of bed and began the slog of a busy day, walking and driving in the rain, setting up yet another ‘short term’ invoicing system that I am prepared to wager we will still be using in three years time. Ho hum.

The icing on the cake was the purchase order system crashing mid way through the afternoon and refusing to accept any more requisitions. Great. I put in a support call and sent them some screen dumps of the error messages that we were getting, but didn’t get a call back until after I had left the office and hit the M42. Apparently they didn’t know what the problem might be and were waiting for more information from me. Hmmm, sounds like stalling for time to me.

I got home to the organised chaos of Jan redecorating the front room – finished in fine fettle with only a shelf to go back up and the small matter of the bottle of mulled wine left over from Christmas that got caught by a rogue curtain pole and smashed on the floor. I helped pick up the broken glass and mopped the spilt wine, so no harm done.

I logged on to work and had a look at the system to see if there had been any progress. A couple of test requisitions went through so I rang the consultant to see what the cause of the problem was, but he claimed that he hadn’t done anything. Curiouser and curiouser, so I’ll have to wait and talk to the PHB in the morning to see if she knows anything about it.

Oh, and my teeth are hurting all along the left side of my mouth for some reason. Paracetomols, sensodyne and beer called for I think …

No comments: