Monday, October 10, 2005

Birthday girl

Well, Alicia is fifteen now. I think that she had a good birthday weekend, despite the predicatable and painful disappointment of her mother having no idea of what Alicia actually wants to do when she goes there to visit. Alicia’s idea of a perfect time is listening to records and pottering around, her mother’s is to focus all attention on her new boyfriend’s five year old son before rushing out of the door to a noisy chav party. As I am wont to say, grrrr.

Still, at least we had a good time on Saturday night – we abandoned the original plan to go to a restaurent when we saw how busy it was and ordered pizza from Pizza Hut instead, followed by melting middle chocolate puddings. Sunday morning was present opening in bed with everything being just as Alicia wanted – a Doctor Who scarf, dalek keyring, some books and a dvd, a new digital radio music system and a charm bracelet from her granny.

After a bacon sarnie I dropped Alicia off and picked up some bits and bobs from B&Q so that I could fix the light switch in the bathroom. It was an awkward and fiddly job that took ages, and when I’d finished the bathroom light worked perfectly. The only problem was that none of the other upstairs lights then worked. I could have cried, but Jan spotted my mistake and sorted it out. Hurrah! I then set to sorting out Alicia’s tangle of wires and junk behind her desk so that I could set up the new music system and had just got it working when I got the call to go and pick her up.

Sunday night was a combination of setting the world to rights with a plateful of chilli and the promise of an extra chocolately cake to make up for yet another one of the disappointments of the day. Apparently the chocoholics cake that she was given sounded like it was more suitable for a chocolate addict looking to kick the habit by going cold turkey.

No comments: