Monday, June 13, 2005

Weekend catchup

Saturday saw some hot, sweaty action at our monthly rapier workshop. The prof was on top form with another bunch of newbies to get stuck into, and we had lots more fun with off hand weapons – I want a pair of sais as well now. Can I? Can I? Awww, please! I promise not to ponce around pretending to be Raphael too much … The prof’s video list made an appearance as well, with Piranah Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death looking like a must see, although I wonder what the sword fighting quotient in that one is? :-)

The hall was warm again, and by the end of the day the sweat was literally pouring off me in rivulets every time I took my mask off. I was so spaced out that I managed to pick up the wrong fencing bag and had to turn around at the next motorway junction and head back to do a swap. I really wouldn’t want to inflict my sweaty fencing jacket on anyone else for a week …

I got home in time for a shower and settled down to watch Doctor Who. Wow. Best episode evar!!!! Daleks. Lotsa Daleks. Cracking stuff.

Sunday, I couldn’t move with lots of essential muscles twanging in protest, so we settled down to play some multiplayer Mechassault II : Lone Wolf. This is a big improvement on the first game, with lots more big stompy horribly beweaponed robots to play with, plus tanks, vtol aircraft, fixed turrets, and battle armour with the nifty ability to hack into an enemy mech and hijack it. If all else fails you can get out of your armour and make a run for it, and this is when the scale of these machines becomes apparent. Scary and exhilarating at the same time, and it’s on sale at play.com and amazon at the moment. Go buy.

 

 

No comments: