Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bits and bobs

I've been forgetting to take my daily cod liver oil tablets recently, but I didn't realise until I heard a worrying series of clicks and crunches coming from my shoulder and elbow when I was running through the moulinet sequence at fencing last night. It was, if anything, even better than usual last night - lots of fun offhand dagger work and jedi mind tricks to play with. I really do want a main gauche, and I want one now ... :-)
 
After several weeks of trouble free driving to Birmingham the motorway had its revenge this morning - roadworks (with no visible work happening), an overturned lorry at one of the junctions and traffic grinding to a halt for no obvious reason for an extended stretch on the M42 added an hour to my commute. At least I had the 'Hearts in Atlantis' audiobook (an excellent reading by William Hurt) and Satygraya to listen to on the way. Radio 4 was back to its dull and irritating self after the strike yesterday gave us Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue instead of mendacious politicos and hypocritical theologians. I have a news addiction, and I can't resist listening to Today if it is on, although since the election I do find myself more and more tempted to switch off after the news headlines. Who exactly do the politicians think they are fooling when they give waffling evasive replies to straightforward questions? Would it really hurt for once for one of them to say "I'm sorry, I don't know" or "We got that policy wrong" or even "We'll listen to any suggestions that people might have". Ruth Kelly, the education minister, is currently the prime offender and she still seems to be blaming problems in schools on things done by the tories ten years ago.
 
 

No comments: