Friday, April 08, 2005

Here is a party political broadcast on behalf of me

Seeing as how the various political parties have given us a day off today for the pope's funeral, I thought that I would weigh in with my two-penny-worth for a brief moment with my thoughts on the forthcoming election. The choices as I see them are :

  • Tories - Don't make me laugh. Their leader is one of the prime movers in the last conservative government that gave us such delights as the poll tax, two economic recessions and unsustainable housing boom. Have they changed much? Somehow I doubt it.
  • Labour - No thank you. Whilst we've had some economic stability, we've also seen a worrying rise in authoritarian policies with ID cards being the prime example of a stupid, ineffective, expensive policy being persued for ideological reasons. Oh, and lets not talk about the war, eh?
  • Lib Dems - meh. Their policies are largely a reaction to the excesses of the labour party, but at least they do seem to be a bit more open and accountable to the electorate with Richard Allan being a good example.
I guess what I'd like to see is a hung parliament (insert own joke here), with the Lib Dems getting enough of the vote to hold the balance of power, Tony Blair being given a severe kicking and the Tories splintering into an extremist fringe leaving the solid one-nation types (with Boris for leader) to rebuild themselves in the center ground. Let's have a parliament with a bit more accountability and some real debates rather than the hollow talking shop for rubber stamping government policy that it has become.

So, not because I think they would make a particularly good government, but because I think they are the best way of shaking up the system in the medium to long term, this time I think :

No comments: