Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A cheese sandwich don't come for free

I felt a strange sense of foreboding this morning.

I didn't sleep very well, and I was tired when I hit the motorway a little after half past seven. The sky was an apocalyptic vision as I crossed the viaduct - inky black clouds scudded in front of the high cirrus stained an angry red by the rising sun. Shepherds warning indeed.

The traffic was noticeably heavier than last week - do people really take the week after new year as a holiday as well? Maybe so, but the net effect added another half hour onto my journey time compared to last week. I've a nasty feeling that the return journey tonight will be worse - the weather is limbering up for a storm of epic proportions.

Lunchtime saw me going to the local Tescos for a sandwich, as usual. The only problem was that they didn't have any. Oh, there were a few limp 'Healthy Option' salad sandwiches, but none of my usual choice of Cheese and Tomato. The world's simplest sandwich (apart from maybe cheese or tomato, on their own without their accompanying sandwichmate). I'm not asking for cheese from tibetan goats tended by buddhist monks, or tomatoes grown in hydroponic pods on the moon. Just bog standard processed cheese and the cheapest tomatoes money can buy, between two slices of normal white bread (no, not bread transmitted through a space warp from five minutes in the future for added freshness). Just an ordinary cheese and tomato sarnie, please and thank you.


No comments: