Saturday, November 06, 2004

High

Oh. My. God.

I've just finished my second Rapier workshop and I am on the biggest high of my life. The co-ordination of mind and body, and the clicking into place of some of the techniques that we've been practicing has just filled me with a complete sense of poise and purpose.

I met up with the mrs in the mall nearby after the lesson, and walking through the crowds felt like being in a matrix style bullet time. I was hyper aware of every single person in the space around me. I felt as if I was in complete control of myself and my environment. I felt like a gunslinger walking into Dodge City, or a superhero in civilian clothes mingling with the mundanes. It was an extraordinary feeling that I have not felt since the days when I used to go to live roleplaying games at Treasure Trap in Cheshire.

The moment where it all fell into place was when I landed a full strength Stoccata lunge on the Professor. If the sword hadn't been blunted, and he had not been wearing a kevlar vest, it would have been a killing blow. I should perhaps say that he invited the attack and did not attempt to parry or avoid it, but the the point at which the movement of the sword and the cohesion of the line of attack come together was supremely satisfying.

What a rush!




No comments: