Saturday, November 13, 2004

Flag Day

What twist of fate had brought us to this desolate outpost and thrown together Human and Covenant in a common cause? I stared at the token that had become our reason for fighting - a scrap of cloth and a stick of wood that we would now defend with our lives. I looked at the two humans who were now my companions in this battle, with their curious red armour and projectile weapons that belonged to a different era. What drove them to fight, if not the Word of the Prophet?

My reverie was broken by the sound of the Banshee circling above the base. I readied my weapons - a plasma pistol and one of the human projectile weapons in my other hand. I was curious to see the effect it would have on those who were about to attack. Red dots on the radar signified an attacker on the roof above us, and then the tell tale clatter of grenades coming through the opening to the sky above.

"Fire in the hole!"

I ducked behind the curtain walls at the side of the room and silently counted to three. An flash of light and the shockwave buffeted me as I resumed my guard place. One of my human companions had died in the blast. No matter. The attacker appeared above me again, framed against the bright ring of the Halo. He leapt down, seeking to steal the flag, but I was prepared. I released the plasma bolt from my pistol, stripping the charge from his shield and then simultaneously unleased a stream of bullets into his now defenceless body. He was dead before he hit the ground.

"That is how you defend a base, human"

-----

That was last night's Capture the Flag game on the Coagulation map in Halo 2. A thirty minute game which we finally won, 1 - 0. Absolutely flipping fantastic.

No comments: