Thursday, September 17, 2026

Bright Flight by Silver Jews

The only problem with an ambiguous and/or jokey band name is the expectations that it sets. For this album I thought it might be some sort of Weird Al style polka or maybe arty New York hip-hop, but it actually turned out to be a low key country album recorded in Nashville.

It took a song or two to get its hooks into me, but lines like “A kitten from Great Britain sleeps behind the drapes” and the idea of moving to Nashville to make a living out of writing sad songs and getting paid by the tear are strong images. I think this is the sort of album that will really repay repeated listens.

Finally, just to be on the safe side, I checked their Wikipedia page and front man David Berman is actually Jewish, so the band name is ok after all. Phew!

Mazel-tastic!

No comments: