Saturday, August 15, 2026

Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens

I’d always thought that Cat Stevens was just another old hippy who struggled with the transition from the 60s into the 70s, but I’m glad that I gave this album a chance. I was also surprised how many of the tracks that I was already familiar with.

There is a lot of wistful longing and introspection here, as he muses on ideas of growing and changing from childhood to adulthood, his relationship with his father, and the state of the world obsessed with materialism at the expense of everything else. It’s easy to see the roots of his spiritual journey here that lead him to Islam and changing his name to Yusef Islam.

He ended leaving music for some time and was caught up in some controversies (that seem to be down to wilful misquoting out of context by tabloids), but it seems that he has returned to his music in recent years, emphasising the peaceful and moderate side of his faith.

No comments: