Saturday, March 18, 2006

Rattle and hum

I heard it this morning.

An unmistakable staccato rattle, sounding a little like the hunting cry of the Predator in the dawn’s early light. I paused for a while to triangulate the source of the noise and after a minute or two I spotted it – a green woodpecker hammering away on a branch high in the tree canopy above me. It’s a regular sight around this time of year and another sign of the approaching spring, despite the snow and perishing temperatures.

We’ve got the reorganisation of the accounts data this weekend, so I logged on to the server to check that my boss and the contracts manager had finished with moving their files into the agreed folders ready for the transfer. The contracts manager had done her stuff, but my boss in all of her pointed haired wisdom had missed a load of stuff (which probably should be archived in any case) so I had to reorganise it for her. I’m on call this afternoon, but hopefully it should all go smoothly.

I could do with a nap – I took the kids swimming at lunchtime at the pool down the road. It’s the first time I’ve been in ages, and I think it could turn into a regular visit. They are both confident in the water, so I had the chance to have a tootle up and down before the pool started to get too busy. It’s quite a refreshing change to go to a good old fashioned municipal swimming pool, a solid 10m by 25m rectangle of clear water, with none of your high-falutin’ leisure facilities (and accompanying screaming kids, chavvy teenagers and a doubling of the entrance fee).

Time for a cappuccino, methinks …

No comments: