Monday, October 05, 2026

Copper Blue by Sugar

I’d always assumed that Bob Mould was some sort of punk name and therefore slightly disappointed when Hüsker Dü imploded that he didn’t form a band with Fred Fungus and Terry Toadstool. Anyhoo, Mr Mould is on good form here with some excellent post-punk/indie guitar rock with a slightly more mellow and melodic edge.

Most of the songs are about dysfunctional relationships and I can’t help wondering if lines like “The act, we wear it thin again” are a reference to the acrimonious breakup with his former bandmate and drummer Grant Hart. Apparently the only time they re-united for a benefit gig the only songs they played were “Hardly Getting Over It” and “Never Talking to You Again”. Yikes.

Anyway, this is great breezy stuff to put on when you’ve just been dumped and need something to cheer yourself up. Even if you haven’t been dumped, you just want to take Bob out for a beer and sympathise. Favourite tracks are probably Hoover Dam and If I Can’t Change Your Mind, which even features some lovely harmonies.

No comments: