Tuesday, September 01, 2026

That's the Way of the World by Earth, Wind & Fire

This initially seemed like something of a left field choice for the only Earth, Wind & Fire album on this list. It’s actually a soundtrack album for a long forgotten film where the band played a thinly disguised version of themselves (as “The Band”) and it sounds as if it follows the usual beats of a musical faux-biopic drama of this sort.

The end result is satisfyingly funky, with commanding bass rhythms, some noodly synth lines that wouldn’t be out of place on a Herbie Hancock album and some diversions into straight up afro-beat that I really enjoyed. I might listen to the “Best Of” album at some point, but I think that this is one that I will enjoy revisiting, and I’ll make a mental note to watch the movie if it should ever show up on a streaming service that I have.

No comments: