Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Live in Japan by Deep Purple

As much as I like Deep Purple, I’m not really sure why this album is on the list. It’s notable for being a raw, live recording, straight from the mixing desk to a basic eight track recorder with no overdubs or post production polishing, so it should be as close to what the crowd of fans in Tokyo and Osaka heard on the night as it’s possible to get.

What they got was a blistering live set from virtuoso musicians playing at the top of their game as if they were being paid by the note. The downside is that the songs are dragged out in quite a self indulgent way - just seven songs on a seventy minute double album, with the closing Space Truckin’ filling 20 minutes on side 4.

One for the fans and completists I think.

No comments: