Saturday, March 02, 2024

Ms Marvel

I renewed my library card a while back and found that I can now use it to borrow magazines, audiobooks and ebooks via the Libby app on my phone and iPad. It turns out that Sheffield Library has an excellent selection of comics so I worked my way through 10 volumes of the Ms Marvel series from 2014.

Having enjoyed the TV series last year, it was fun to go back to the original comics to compare and contrast. The live action version of Kamala khan has light based powers and turns out to be a mutant, whereas the comic version can stretch to any shape and batter villains with huge fists or shrink to a tiny size to escape. The character has the goofy energy of a young Peter Parker, battling as much with homework, first crushes and school bullies as super villains. In a notable first for Marvel, she's also a young muslim American woman who takes comfort from her faith and community. 

The artwork has lots of fun, cartoony details and there's a plenty of humour in the writing, particularly the scenes where she interacts with her hero Captain Marvel and the rest of the Avengers. I like the neat touch that her costume is dynamic and modest, featuring a nifty flowing scarf rather than the usual sexist treatment that some other female superheroes get. 

Recommended!



No comments: