Monday, May 02, 2016

2. The Loan

"So, Jerry, let's just go over how the credit union works, so you're sure"

Jerry shifted uncomfortably in his chair and nodded.

"We agree how much you need and a repayment amount that you can afford, and then it just comes out of your pay at source so there's no need to worry about missing any repayments. The interest is reasonable - less than a bank loan and way less than a credit card or one of those pay day sharks. There's just a few formalities and this form to fill in with your details"

I pushed the form across the desk, turning it round on the polished surface so Jerry could read it. He started to reach for the pen to sign on the dotted line.

"One more thing we need to know for the records - what's the loan for? There's a clause in the constitution about not using the money for "immoral purposes" or some such - blame the churchy types who set it up, not me. Anyway, I'm sure you're not going to spend five thousand pounds on booze and hookers, right?"

Jerry's face dropped and his hand fell to his side.

"It's in confidence, but I have to ask. The secret will go with me to my grave, I swear"

Jerry nodded.

"My mother, she's very sick"

"Medical expenses are fine, Jerry."

"No, you don't understand. She needs a holiday. In Switzerland. One way."

Listen to this story on Anchor

No comments: