Thursday, March 31, 2011

Road to Nowhere

Road trip, day two

Long standing readers (pull up a chair, why don't you) will recall my feelings about the M6 motorway, particularly the area around spaghetti junction - a concrete replica of hell that would make Dante Alighieri cut back on the cheese before bedtime.

I've not been through it for a couple of years, but as things would have it I had to do the journey today to get to Wolverhampton for a site visit and it brought all of the bad memories flooding back. The traffic was as slow as ever, and to add insult to injury they have a large illuminated sign to tell you that the M6 is congested but the adjacent toll road is clear (not much use for me when I'm only going to junction 10).

I had planned to get away from the site at a reasonable time, but trying to submit a file to the HMRC online portal proved to be an irksome business, and particularly frustrating after I'd sorted out a number of other problems with the data. I ended up leaving at four, just in time to get caught in the afternoon rush hour going the other way.

At least I've had a good catch up on podcasts, including a particularly good indie hodge podge from Coverville featuring this awesome version of Norwegian Wood crossed with Kashmir by the Aaron English Band which I downloaded off of iTunes as soon as I got in tonight, and I recommend that you all do the same.

No comments: