Monday, November 30, 2009

Revenge Rococco Style

Bright and crisp this morning with a touch of frost in the air, in complete contrast to the damp gloom of the weekend.

I'm on the motorway well before the sunrise these days. I was on the home stretch into Leeds today when the sun peeked up above the horizon somewhere behind my right shoulder. In one of those curious quirks of geography and optics the light was reflected off of a row of windows somewhere on a hill somewhere in the distance in front of me and just for a short while they sparkled rather majestically like Baily's beads during an eclipse.

The effect didn't last long and before I knew it I was at my desk in a chilly office. For a supposedly high tech company it seems beyond the wit of the building managers to arrange for the heating to come on automatically via a timer so that the place is less like an ice box first thing on Monday mornings.

In an addendum to the webcast that we watched yesterday, one of the enjoyable aspects was following the debate on Twitter. The organisers had helpfully embedded a Twitter feed in the page and it was fun seeing my avatar pop up when I contributed something. Good fun, although there didn't seem to be many people of a religious bent online. The two common points raised seemed to be that atheists only tackle religion's weak points - so what are the strong points then? - and that they don't debate proper theologians - so theology is not a qualification for being the Bishop of Oxford, eh?

No comments: