Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Broadway memories

If this is Tuesday, this must be Dudley. Business as usual, although with a tad more multi-tasking. A typical job went something like this

– We need a modification to the sales order, an extra column for the product category and we need it to be validated and default according to the business unit.

– No problem, give me half an hour or so …

<Thorin sits down and sings about gold>

– Here you go … working just as you asked.

– You’ve missed off the column heading for the product category!

Ho hum.

Still, the journey this week gave me a chance to revisit ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ by Genesis, an album that I bought on vinyl over twenty years and that a bit of mental arithmetic revealed that I hadn’t listened to in nearly as long. I found that I could remember it almost word for word, even the bits about supernatural anaethetists, lamias and slippermen. It still holds up as an excellent piece of work after all this time as a classic of the prog genre.

There’s Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes, smoking Winston cigarettes …”

 

No comments: