Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentines, road trips and sharp things

Valentine’s day dawned bright and clear, and I was treated to a cup of tea in bed, a wonderful card and an interesting package that turned out to be a main gauche dagger. A very sharp one … nothing says ‘I love you’ quite like lethal weaponry. After a little soul searching, I decided to swap it for one that I can actually use without the very real possibility of killing somebody.

Today was a rather different kettle of the piscine variety. I left the house at $stupid o’clock and set off down to Bath for a meeting. With the recent takeover at work everything is up in the air organisation wise, but it looks as if we are taking over the accounting functions of one of the smaller companies in the group, so today was a fact finding exercise. The one fact that I had to find was answered pretty quickly – “Can we have access to your systems” “Yes – citrix metaframe and I’ll set you up now”. Sorted. The rest of the afternoon was a bit more drawn out with discussions of their accounting processes, and we didn’t manage to leave until after four. I just made it to the short term car park where I was parked with about ten minutes to spare before my five pound parking charge would have turned into a £25 excess charge.

I hit the road, with a full tank of gas and a half pack of cigarettes, metaphorically speaking and was on my way home. A couple of accidents, a truck with a rather dramatic blow out, a wide load and one stop for a caramel latte and I managed nearly two hundred miles in four hours exactly. I had a fascinating and funny interview with Barry Cryer on Radio 4 to listen to and then my ‘Now that’s what I call David Collins’ driving compilation to pass the time.

Home now, with tequila, red wine, spag bol, beer and ‘Car Wars’ on telly  to push all of my ‘hang and flog all chavs’ buttons, and life is good.

No comments: