Friday, March 25, 2005

Lazy Bones

Well, what a fabulously lazy day, but I think I earned it after yesterday. After a couple of hours of cleaning and hoovering upstairs I made the mistake of going to the supermarket (a) without a shopping list and (b) when I was hungry, with the result (a) that I spent far more than I should have on such essentials as dvds (recordable and otherwise) and posh crisps (jalapeno and cheese, anyone?) and (b) forgot two things that I actually wanted. Still, at least I did remember the drain cleaner which was pricy but seems to have done the trick on the plug hole in the bathroom which was making funny gurgling noises and whiffing a bit.

After lunch, the next tranche of shopping arrived courtesy of Mr Tesco with a garage's worth of tins, bottles (mmmm, Beer to Dine For, my current favourite since they stopped doing mini kegs of Boddingtons), dog and cat food, enough loo roll to keep Ms Dogwood supplied for the next week (what *does* she do with it all?), cereals and frozen stuff to restock the freezer. By the time I'd packed it all away it was time to pick Master Dogwood up from school (carefully clutching all of the letters he'd been given today), and the poor little chap was feeling poorly again, and it was a while before he felt up to playing the demo of Jade Empire on the dvd that came with the xbox magazine that was another one of my essential purchases. The game looks wonderful too - I love the way that once you have defeated an enemy you learn their particular form and can, for example, transform into a fiery horse demon. It's not out until May though, fret, fret, so I made up for it by buying a second hand copy of 'Mercenaries' off somebody on the internet.

Today, in contrast, in the words of Mike Skinner, I have done absolutely nowt. The most energetic I have been is two walks with the dog, and an hour of shooting aliens in Aliens Vs Predator 2, and by golly, can that game still make me jump. I was slowly making my way through a slime encrusted alien hive, having to shoot my team mates who had been implanted with parasites and superglued to the wall. Yakk.

This afternoon, I read a bit more of the wrist dislocatingly huge 1610 by Mary Gentle and then zonked out for two hours of blissful daydreams with a cooling breeze blowing through the window, and the sounds of birds tweeting in the spring sunshine.

No comments: