Thursday, February 24, 2005

Snow Joke

The cold rumbles on. I woke up this morning at around half past three with my nose streaming, feeling like death warmed up. I went downstairs to get a drink of grapefruit juice and tonic water, and then played Grand Theft Auto on my Gameboy Advance for a while and read some more of the Mary Gentle book that I am working my way through. I dozed off for a while before waking up to the eerie light of a snow day.

Walking in the woods at dawn was magical. Softly drifting snow amongst the trees and a cotton wool crunch underfoot. The dog was wading through snow drifts up to his middle and having a whale of a time in a world that was a blank canvas just waiting to be marked as his territory.

Home, and the news is good for Master and Ms Dogwood. No school today! Mrs Dogwood is not so lucky, so I scraped the snow off her car and sent her off with provisions in case she got stuck. The main roads were clear though, and she arrived at more or less her normal time.

The day started badly for me though - my laptop wasn't booting and need a complete restore. Fortunately I was able to connect to the hard drive via the USB docking cradle to get a backup of my documents, and then it was just a case of letting it get on with things, including reloading SP2, anti-virus and anti-spyware, and firefox. Fun fun fun.

No comments: