Monday, February 14, 2005

Once, Twice, Three times out of balance

My legs were still stiff today, but the normal Monday night session loosened them up a bit, and we had a very gentle review of some of the material that we had covered on Saturday. We all enjoyed a little bit of schadenfruede at the news that the Professor had pulled a muscle and was suffering somewhat as a result ...

More of a worry was work today, with the sort of call from the boss that you really don't want first thing on a Monday morning - "The accounts system is out of balance - can you take a look at it?". The transactions on the ledger all looked to be ok, and after several hours of detective work in checking that all of the journals were in balance I tracked it down to the balance summary tables being corrupted somehow. In the end I had to recreate them from scratch, and all was well, but I still have no idea how it happened. I'm just glad it was only one of the smaller companies in the group and not the main database which is about fifty times the size of the one I was rebuilding today.

No comments: