Saturday, February 26, 2005

O tempora, o mores

I went to meet a friend in town for a drink. I was only having one, so I suppose I could have driven, but I went on the bus as I usually do. The bus there was packed and I had to stand, sandwiched between a sweaty fat and some beery lads out to get even more drunk. I had a choice of staying on the bus or getting off at an earlier stop, so I got off eary and caught the tram instead.

I was glad I came out - I hadn't seen my friend for far too long, but he has now finished the training course that he was doing and is back home as a fully fledged copper. We arranged to meet up again soon, but this time preferably not on a busy Saturday night in town.

The journey home was worse than the outbound one.

I got to the bus stop just in time to miss one bus, and had what looked like a fifteen minute wait according the timetable but turned out to be twice that, on a freezing cold night. The bus was practically empty, but it filled up as we passed a fun fair and collected a large group of noisy girls. I'm pretty sure that none of them were older than fourteen or fifteen (and two or three of them were much younger), but they proceeded to discuss the intimate details of their lives loudly enough for everyone on the bus to hear.

I felt very old.

No comments: