Monday, December 10, 2012

Catching up

So, blogging has been sparse. 

Work has been hectic - lots of pressure to get things done with project crunch panic and the potential of a possible new role to think about. When I get time spare, I've been working on my OU MST121 maths module, trying to get ahead to give myself a bit of breathing room. I also received the result for my M366 AI course - a respectable 80% on a tough paper, so I can put that one behind me now. 

My iaido class is going well - it's pitched at the right level for my current physical abilities and it's building up the strength in my knees and legs at a steady pace. I am still doing the EA Sports Active 2 workouts and watching what I eat, and as a result my weight is hovering around the border between 'Ideal' and 'Overweight' according to the Wii Fit scales. I could do with losing a bit of the flab around my middle, but it is starting to tighten up as my core strength improves, so I am happy with that.

 As somebody who is not particularly interested in sport, I have to confess to being cynical in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics. However, after seeing the magical opening ceremony I was caught up in the Olympic spirit. I followed the human drama unfolding in the various venues and I was inspired by the efforts of Olympians and Paralympians of all nations, and most especially by Team GB. After being selected in a draw on Twitter I was very lucky to be able to participate in an event to celebrate the achievements of OU students who were also medal winning Olympians.  


The rower Alan Campbell talked of the things that had inspired him to get up early every morning to train and overcoming injury in his journey to the Olympics, and told us that the team motto ‘Better Never Stops’ was embroidered inside the collar of his blazer. The other athletes - Canoeist Etienne Stott and Hockey players Alex Danson and Helen Richardson - discussed their own critical moments as well as the importance of training the mind as well as the body with their OU studies. We were also privileged to hear from Olympic legend Dame Mary Peters, with her recollections of past Olympics and her experiences of training on potholed tracks in borrowed kit that have inspired her to become a driving force in providing excellent sporting facilities and coaching for the young people of Northern Ireland and across the UK. Finally, a plaque was unveiled as a reminder of an extraordinary moment in British sport that will hopefully stand as a reminder that whatever we do, we should always strive to give our very best.


Last Friday was my work's Christmas do - I got on a train to Leeds which ended up being stuck behind a freight train for half an hour on a cold, wet and miserable evening. I rushed from the station to the venue, but the food wasn't served for over an hour and when it eventually arrived was meagre fare - dried up turkey, a handful of vegetables and a drizzle of weedy gravy. I didn't even get my promised xmas pud before I had to leave for my train home at ten o'clock.

Saturday night was much better. Orbital were playing the Sheffield O2 Academy, with more or less the same set as when we saw them earlier this year with a couple of additions including a dub-step version of Doctor ? and some old favourites. A top night, made even better by bumping into my iaido tutor wearing a 'Wonky' tee-shirt and getting dragged up to the front by Jan for 'Chime' and 'Where is it Going?' at the end.

From Orbital O2 Sheffield



Will I be blogging more? I'll try, but no promises. 

No comments: